Monday, July 12, 2010

Kid's Camp

I've been at Kid's Camp with Broadmoor since Friday. I'll admit, at first I was really only about the money, but things have changed since camp began. While I have been insanely busy with setup and running the audio portion of the camp rallies and the kids are very hyper and don't let me get much sleep, there have also been moments that have caused me to think. Just watching the way these kids approach spirituality is amazing. They have very real questions and issues in life but are genuinely seeking God in the answers. I saw something last night that nearly brought me to tears. When we were doing the evening rally singing, I heard the combined voices of over a hundred 3rd through 6th graders praise in such a real and raw way the One who created them.  I saw them go to the altar in tears, confessing their shortcomings and asking the God of the universe to help them through. They fell on their faces in tears, crying out for mercy from their Savior. It was something I had never seen before, but I guess it's never really hit me that kids that age have issues and trials too. They are living in the same messed up world I'm in, dealing with different issues perhaps, but still struggling sometimes. There is a difference though; being older, I have become dependent on myself for the things I need. I have a lot of pride and struggle with trusting someone else for my needs. These kids still depend primarily on someone else for their needs and I guess that makes it easier for them to give their issues to God. That is something we can all learn from, we need to come to God as one of them would, humble and dependent on Him, ready to cast our cares on our God. 

It has been a truly amazing weekend, I'm very glad I came now, these kids have been a great example for me instead of the other way around.

1 comment: